Saturday, June 30, 2012

Graffitando


6/26/12
After practicing with the drawing skills on Monday, we put our thoughts together and created an image-symbol of our experiences of Brazil so far. Our group, made up of 7 of us, came up with these simple symbols, and I took the freedom of interpreting them. (I'm a litterature student, ok? I love to analyze stuff)
RECIFE - Yeah, obvious, we are here! And the colors are a mix of the Brazilian flag, but with a few subtle changes because the northeaster is, in same cultural and economical ways, its own little world.
THE SUN - Perhaps we were all wanting more sun since it's been raining so much? I don't know, but I thought it would be cool to have a focal point. We also had messed up on drawing something, so Carla just made it into a big circle.
HAND PRINTS - "Helping hands" is a service oriented activity implemented by the LDS church throughout the world. Here, it symbolizes all of our hands in helping the community of Recife, and especially CCJ.
"ESPERANÇA" - This translates to HOPE. As we help and serve each other, our host families, the people at CCJ and those we come in contact on a daily basis her in Brazil, I hope we bring them a little bit of hope for a better life. We have seen poverty and hardship; our smiling faces and service perhaps make a little bit of difference in their lives and bring them hope.
More could be said about the picture, but those are our main symbols. It was fun and a bit hard all at once, but we worked together and that was the funnest part.

No comments:

Post a Comment