Monday, June 11, 2012

One week left


After a quick (but fun) trip to the Portuguese Consulate in San Francisco to take care of immigration stuff, I am back trying to finish preparations for Brazil. I ended up feeling sick for 3 days from all the shots I've taken this past weeks, but I feel great now.

 There have been quite a few people that have asked me why I am going to Brazil, since I already speak the language, why do I want to go? Yes, I do speak the language (with a bunch of differences ha ha) but there's so much more about this Study Abroad then studying the language. It's about being immersed in a different culture and learning about different societies. It's about taking advantage of an internship that will provide an association with the less fortunate Brazilian youth. My past experience with low-income communities is that they are often just as happy, and sometimes happier, than those like me and the students on this Study Abroad, who have a higher standard of living. It will be an interesting experience. I'm pretty sure I will realize more than ever how spoiled I am for lliving in the United States and for all the material possessions that I have that are not really necessary for my survival or happiness. I'm really excited about going:)

My family knows how much I hate flying, but I just found out I will be travelling with an awesome friend and colleague, so that should make the trip a million times more enjoyable. This week I still need to finalize registration for one more class, finish packing, fix Skype on my laptop, exchange dollars into reais, spend fun time with my family and I will even get to see one of my brothers and his wife; they will be here for a week and I'm glad I'll get to see them for a few hours just before I leave for Brazil.

No comments:

Post a Comment