Friday, July 13, 2012

Famílias sertanejas: família Bezerra

7/10/12
We visited another farm, and this one has been in the same family (the Bezerra family) for about 200 years! Immediately I recalled the movie we watched about the "engenho" and here we got to see one "engenho", still being used to make "rapadura". It took us 2 hours to get to this farm, and it was even drier and deserty than Ivan's. I though for sure that this farm would not have much of anything green, and I was wrong.



Perhaps there were more vegetables here than fruits, like what we saw in Ivan's farm, but the quality of the crops was amazing. Everything got watered twice a day, and there were no weeds or bugs on the vegetables. I wish my yard looked half as good as this farm!!! The family of 4 works hard on the farm, and sometimes they get up at 3 am and go to bed at 11 pm. Hard work pays off because they have created a mini oasis in the middle of the desert. The children, Eric and Erica, like their father and grandfather and many others ancestors, will continue the family tradition, as they learn to be self-sufficient and work on the farm to provide for them ad their families.
One of the things that I noticed was that these people are happy. They are happy to show us the fruits of their labors, they are happy to be together as families, isolated from the "civilization" and the city, they are happy to live so in tune with nature. With the water problem solved through the proper equipment of storing and distributing water, the sertanejos are able to survive in the worst of conditions and where water is a constant concern for the the people. With the help of Diaconia, all these little miracles can happen.



No comments:

Post a Comment