Saturday, July 7, 2012

Oh say, can you see...4th of July party!


7/4/12
Independence Day!!!! In class, we talked a little bit about race in Brazil, and the diversity that exists here. Once again we were reminded about the desire of “whitening” the nation that has existed in Brazil for a long time, and it many ways it still exists in the mind of the people. Professor Fitzgibbon shared a statistic with us the other day that was very interesting to me. After asking the population to place themselves in a certain race, the results show that people named 140 different races. People call themselves “Moreno claro”, “Moreno escuro”, etc., but it’s never plainly “white” or “black”. Nobody wants to be related to blacks. Why? Because of the negative connotation associated with the black race that has existed ever since the first slaves were brought to Brazil.

In general, I think people around the globe are a lot more tolerant and accepting of the different races, but I still think prejudice is strong in certain countries, like Brazil. The billboards that I have seen throughout the city all have very white looking people, blond or light brown hair, and light skin. Both Professor Fitzgibbon and Natalia brought up an interesting point; in Brazil, race is also determined by social status. “The more money one has, the whiter that person is”, is what they said, more or less in these words.


On a happier note, we went to ABA and had a Fourth of July party with the English Immersion students there.

Berkeley and I, with the American Consulate representatives.

                                          Tawnya, Joe and I, with the English Immersion students

 It was a lot of fun! Tawnya got everyone involved in playing games, and we also sang the national anthems for the US and Brazil. We made friends with some students, took lots of pictures and enjoyed “American” food: hot dogs and hamburgersJ For a moment it felt like I was back in the USA!





                                      With Lara:)

No comments:

Post a Comment