Sunday, July 1, 2012

Forró and quadrilhas at Caruaru

6/29/12
We told our maids that we were going to Caruaru and they were very excited for us! They told us we had to try and buy stuff there because the “artesanato” and the local pottery items are real cheap. We rode in a small bus for 2 hours, and the roads were at times so bumpy that we started acting weird:

Everyone was really happy to get to Caruaru. I bought leather sandals and some souvenirs for my kids, and I had my first “tapioca”, with condensed milk and coconut. It was delicious. I also had my first churro in Brazil, stuffed with chocolate. It was yummy.
We walked around everywhere looking at the food booths and the Carnival but the highlight of the trip was watching the “quadrilhas” and the “forró”. The quadrilhas are organize and somewhat rehearsed dances where men and women dance, following the commands of a caller. Their outfits are very colorful and they are quite fun to watch. We also watched a local band play the “forró” and some of us danced around a bit, which got captured on Professor Fitzgibbon’s camera. We may need to find a way to erase that film…
I noticed that there was a lot of beer being sold and a lot of people drinking alcohol. I think we left before anyone got drunk! I’m pretty sure a lot of people at this celebration tonight stayed until morning…

No comments:

Post a Comment