Our last stop on this trip was visiting a humble youth group and their organization. These youth get together to do crafts, more specifically, jewelry made out of seeds and wood beads.
Daniela, the Diaconia rep that has traveled with us to all the sites, explain how this simple organization helps children and youth learn a skill and gives them not only something to do with their time, but also gives them hope of bettering themselves for their future life. all proceeds go to the organization and we were very happy to purchase some of the items available. I was impressed with the quality and I will treasure the souvenirs and gifts I got here. Carbonel presented them with a graffiti:
After lunch, we went to visit Fabio, who lives on a farm even more isolated than the ones we have visited. He was quite nervous to see so many people at once, but soon relaxed a bit as he started to take us to the caves where the indigenous people of the past (12,000 ago!) drew pictures of animals and depictions of human life. The hike as not too far, steep at times, but we all made it to the top!
Fabio explained that these drawings were done with blood from the animals and the powder dust released by the caves. He gave us a few rocks as souvenirs, and the one I kept is just like chalk.
Once again, I was impressed with the humility, simplicity and kindness of the sertanejos. They may not have a formal education, but you will not find anybody better behaved or well-mannered than these people. Douglas, Fabio's son, accompanied us on this hike and I enjoyed talking to him. He is a sweet boy and so cute!
No comments:
Post a Comment